Birth control, condoms, Mountain Dew? There are plenty of myths and ways to “not get pregnant” out there but there is nothing that will completely prevent pregnancy.
- “I won’t get pregnant the first time I have sex.” This is such a misconception among young people. Any type of sexual intercourse between a man and a woman, there is a possibility to get pregnant. It can be your first time having sex or your 100th time, there is a chance you will get pregnant.
- “I used a condom and on birth control.” Most studies show that even though condoms are 98% effective, they are truly only about 85% effective due to misuse from the man and/or woman. When taken correctly, the birth control pill is 99% effective but once again do to human error, it does not always prevent pregnancy.
- “He pulls out every time.” The Pull Out Method is only about 78% effective. There are always fluids that are released before ejaculation occurs.
- “My boyfriend drinks Mountain Dew and kills his sperm.” Once again, this is false. There is not any type of carbonated drink that kills sperm cells.
- “I can’t get pregnant in the water or while I am on my period.” There is never a place or time when you cannot get pregnant from having sexual intercourse.
You can try any of these myths but nothing will prevent pregnancy. The only type of prevention that will work is abstinence.
If you think you are pregnant or you know someone who is pregnant, Choices is her next step. Our center will confirm pregnancy, give an ultrasound and discuss your options moving forward. All of these steps most occur whether you are considering having an abortion or continuing the pregnancy.
Make a free and confidential appointment today by calling/texting 423.892.0803.